Shipwrights construct, fit out and repair ships.
- studies plans and specifications, and prepares templates and scale plans for fabrication and cutting of hull sections
- marks reference points and lines on dry docks and slipways
- checks position and functioning of slipway apparatus
- assembles shells of boats and erecting hull sections of ship
- erects and prepares launching platforms, conducting pre-launch tests and supervising launching procedures
- installs masts, frames, decking, fittings, machines, shafts and safety equipment
- builds and installs structures such as cabins, machine mountings, propeller supports and rudders
- determines repair requirements and procedures
- may make hull moulds and fabricate and repair vessels using materials such as aluminium, wood, glass, reinforced plastics, carbon fibre, kevlar, fibreglass and concrete.
- physically demanding
- working outdoors.