Medical Technicians operate anaesthetic, cardiac, operating theatre and medical testing equipment, perform and assist with laboratory tests, and fill prescriptions in support of Health Professionals.
- operating equipment used in diagnosing and monitoring disorders of the heart, kidneys, nervous system and hearing, and in anaesthesia
- undertaking and assisting with medical analytical procedures and assisting Anaesthetists and surgical teams
- recording the electrical activity of the heart, from which the heart rate is measured and pattern and rhythm interpreted
- preparing and staining slides and tissue sections to study the cells of blood and for histological examination
- performing diagnostic tests on tissues and body fluids and analysing the chemical constituents of blood, urine, faeces and tissues
- testing for diseases by looking for the presence of antibodies and the products of immune response in samples
- setting up, checking and maintaining operating theatres, anaesthetic workstations, life support machines and associated equipment
- referring prescriptions to Pharmacists and assisting in preparing medications.