Tertiary Access Payment: Helping with the cost of moving for study

18 March, 2021

Tertiary Access Payment: Helping with the cost of moving for study

Are you relocating from outer regional or remote Australia to study this year? You may be eligible for a $5,000 Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) to help with the costs of moving.

Moving away from home can be expensive and for some, the cost can be a barrier to starting higher education. The TAP helps eligible students to access tertiary study (Cert IV and above). Students must be enrolling in further study straight after Year 12 (not taking a gap year) to apply.

Students must also be moving to study at an education provider located at least 90 minutes by public transport from their family home. Read the full list of eligibility criteria on the Tertiary Access Payment page.

If you are studying at a non-university higher education provider (NUHEP) or a vocational education and training (VET) provider, you must apply through Services Australia.

If you are studying at a university, you cannot apply through Services Australia. You must apply through your participating university.

Payments are for students starting in higher education in 2021 only. They will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Don’t miss out — apply now while payments are still available!

More information, full eligibility criteria and Program Guidelines can be found on the Tertiary Access Payment page.

To explore what other payments you may be eligible for, visit the financial assistance page on the Your Career website, where you can also use the ‘your future career’ tool to explore career ideas and options.

Explore Careers

Narrow down your occupation and study options using one of the pages below.

Complete a quick questionnaire and explore occupations that suit you.

Take your next step now: find the types of jobs currently available or a short course to build on your skills.